Friday, September 11, 2015

Getting There!

It feels good. Yesterday, I finished one of my goals from a week ago, updating my web page. Again, I want to thank friend and brother Jim Earnhardt for suggesting Dreamweaver. It is an excellent program. I am also on chapter two of Sidney Sheldon's Nothing Lasts Forever. It is a fantastic read! My very close friend, Professor Donn Holt, keeps urging me to get into the John Grisham books but I almost fear them. There are so many and reading can become an addiction. Do I really want to become addicted to something with such a large supply?
This morning I will return to writing the Dix Hill Diaries. Dix Hill Diaries is a tentative name for a book about what I consider to be one of the greatest travesties and shames of my lifetime, the closing of Dorothea Dix Hospital in Raleigh, NC. While I was in college, I worked there. I saw miracles done. I saw people helped. Years later, I saw former patients on the streets talking to themselves. They were homeless and helpless. Budget cuts are great in theory, but there are things that are more important than a budget and I can't see how any politician can feel proud for putting thousands of people on the streets for the sake of a budget.
Oh well, enough rambling. I will write the book. Hopefully, it will be done by next spring. If nothing else, it will keep me off the streets and out of the pool room.
Dan   

No comments:

Post a Comment