Friday, March 22, 2013


     My books have been selling okay. Now, what “okay” means is somewhat subjective. For J K Rowlings and her Harry Potter series, a hundred books a day would be barely scrimping by. For some, a hundred books in a lifetime won’t happen. Like I say, it’s all subjective.
     I believe the greatest revaluation I have received as a writer is to write what I enjoy and let the sales take care of themselves.
     Since I mentioned JK Rowlings and Harry Potter, the lady has shown phenomenal success. Her sales are off the charts, but could I have done it? No! The thought is ridiculous. The vast number of the Harry Potter books were purchased by “tweens”, a narrow group from nine years old to twelve with a few on either side, some a little older, some a little younger.
     I couldn’t have done it because I don’t identify with tweens. I long ago forgot what it means to be twelve years old. So, to attempt to write anything that group would enjoy, much less buy, is only trying to fool myself. The same could be said about Amanda Hockings vampire novels which have sold millions to young adults. Though Stephen King’s Salem’s Lot did scare the bejesus out of me and I still can’t sleep beside an open window, vampires just aren’t my thing.
     Some of the lists I subscribe to seem to try to give “tips” to writers. Thank goodness I have come to the realization that people don’t buy books because the grammar is precise. They don’t buy books because they like flowery prose. They buy books because they like the story. And, to write something someone will enjoy, the writer must feel the same. I have had several books that I couldn’t wait to wake up so I could work on another chapter, or paragraph or sentence. Funny thing... they are my best sellers.
Have a great day,
Dan Weatherington
http://www.danweatherington.com

No comments:

Post a Comment