Thursday, November 1, 2012

As Dale Carnegie Said

   One of the great quotes I got from the Dale Carnegie course was "If you lay an egg, all you can do is step back and look at it". It appears I have laid an egg!
   One of a writer's best tools is a website. It can go miles to keep the writer in touch with the reader and I had a BEAUTIFUL website, probably one of the most   beautiful websites on the Internet. And, this week I received an email from a long time reader telling me just how beautiful it was. Problem was it took almost a half hour for the older computers to download!  No one, and I mean no one, is going to sit there for a half hour to watch a webpage download and lots of people have the old dial-up modems.
   So, my beautiful website's value was only a fraction higher than no website... for several years!
   As much as I would love to point a finger at somebody... anybody... it was nobody's fault but mine. It was right on the screen when I design my website. Download time 1520 seconds! Do the math. It's almost a half hour! Oh yes, I laid an egg... a big egg.
   Everybody isn't going to pay thirty-five or forty dollars a month for cable Internet service. If all the Internet is to you is an email from your grandchildren every two weeks or so or a few recipes from Paula Dean every so often, it would be stupid to pay such a price. And, there are lots of people whose idea of high-speed internet is still the old dial-up modems on a phone line. (I too still miss those old ya-woo-ya-whee sounds).
   So, rather than wallowing in my own stupidity, Dan has a brand new website. No, it's not as beautiful as the old one, but at least it only takes a few seconds for the slowest computer to load and it conveys the message.
   Try visiting it today at http://www.danweatherington.com , it'll only take a few seconds. (Just an embarrassed attempt at humor!)
Have a great day,
Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment