Monday, May 28, 2012

There is a new radio station 103.1 in Sharpesburg near here and their music is fantastic. There's a lot of Petula Clark, Supremes and seventies and eighties big hits. They do have country and bluegrass, but that's on Saturday morning and if I can hear real music most of the week, I can pass on listening to the school dropouts howling about getting drunk and the pickup being repossessed on Saturday morning.
Last week they played Coven's "One Tin Soldier Walks Away" and that song has been in my mind ever since. If you don't remember it, go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDu6HYWdxkQ
you will remember it.
The chorus goes:
 Go ahead and hate your neighbor,
 Go ahead and cheat a friend.
 Do it in the name of Heaven,
 You can justify it in the end.
 There won't be any trumpets blowing
 Come the judgement day,
 On the bloody morning after....
 One tin soldier rides away.
Why do I mention this? Those who know me know I was disappointed by the vote on Amendment 1 a couple of weeks ago. Disappointed yes, surprised, no.
I guess it just reminded me so much of when the Masons were in a fight to recognize the black Masons in North Carolina and people used the Bible to justify their bigotry and ignorance.
 Go ahead and hate your neighbor,
 Go ahead and cheat a friend.
 Do it in the name of Heaven,
 You can justify it in the end.
A lot of single parents will be hurt by the Amendment 1 vote. But who cares, if it's in the Bible?
Have a great day,
Dan

1 comment: