Saturday, May 12, 2012

Why?

   For a reason known only to God and Amazon.com, (In the book world they are the same), my promotion of Killing Martin Luther and The Thrill Seekers is doing well, unbelievably well. I seriously figured the promotion would yield fifteen or twenty Kindle downloads. My lord, they are free. I would hope I would get at least fifteen. But as of this morning we are approaching 500 downloads. In the first twenty-four hours five hundred people have downloaded my books. Amazing!
   Yesterday I was telling a friend about this phenomenon (actually, I was bragging) when he asked a simple question, why would I want to give away free books?
    I guess maybe I have reached that point in writing where I am willing to face the truth. Either I can write stuff people want, or I can't. I sell enough books to know that some people like my work, but there some people who just aren't that sharp. Is it only them I appeal to? I guess it's time to find out.
    Why did I do it? On May 15th McDonald's will sell 49 cent Strawberry-Banana smoothie concoctions. Why? To give people a taste of something McDonald's hopes they will like. They hope people will want more. Drug dealers have been doing it for years. So, this week, the largest fast food restaurant in the world and I will copy the drug dealers. Where will it lead? I don't know, but I will soon.
    Somehow, I feel I should lead this next paragraph with "Hey, little girl, you want some candy?", but if you haven't downloaded one of my books, go ahead... it's free.
Killing Martin Luther
The Thrill Seekers
Thanks,
Dan
http://danweatherington.com
http://danweatherington.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment