Monday, April 16, 2012

Screenplay

Someone asked me about marketing my screenplay. A screenplay isn't sold like a book. A book has immediate value. The writer and the publisher set the value. Most of my print books sell for $10, the ebooks $3. If a book becomes popular you will sell more books, but the value of each book will be something you set.
The screenplay, on the other hand, has no immediate value. The screenplay only gains value when it can attract a producer, a director, some actors, the umpteen dozen people needed to make a movie and . . . a whole lot of money.
How do you market a screenplay? You enter it into contests where it will be judged by industry insiders. Likely, my first entry will be in  a contest created by Norman Lear, remember All in the Family, The Jeffersons? That will be the first of 2013 when The Thrill Seekers will be up against about 6,000 other scripts.
Poor odds? The Thrill Seekers, the book, is up against over a half million other books, yet I sell a few every month. No, the odds on 6000 to one for my screenplay is good. Honestly, it's the other 5999 I feel sorry for.  
Thanks,
Dan
http://danweatherington.com
http://danweatherington.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment